Sunday, April 13, 2014

A weekend with fin whales

This weekend we have enjoyed the company of fin whales here in São Miguel, Azores. On both Saturday and Sunday we saw fin whales. It has been a great way to spend the weekend, with the second largest animal in the world, and the fastest whale species (they can reach speeds of 47 km/hr). Yesterday's whale watchers also came across a nice group of common dolphins. Although today our vigia (onshore lookout) also spotted some common dolphins and bottlenose dolphins, our attention was turned to the fin whales. This is the best time of the year to see these large whale species here in the Azores, so what are you waiting for?

The first fin whale we saw this morning

 Being the second largest animal on earth fin whales can reach up to 27 meters in length

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

The sea have always called out for me. I'm the kind of girl that likes to stare at the horizon as the waves tossed and turned on the sand. For several hours in a row.
It's my first time in Azores and I can proudly say that I'm not disappointed, not even with the cloudy weather. I found Sunday's morning trip very bouncy, not that I mind but I saw many people falling, getting wet and losing their belongings. Nevertheless it was my first time seeing a fin whale in its wild environment. I saw a few jets and glimpsed the whale's body briefly. All of the marine biologists on board were willing to explain what we were observing, also including various tips about the whale's behaviour. Even though I got soaked, it was worth talking and sharing information with the staff. One day I'll come back and be part of the staff as a marine biologist. By: Mermaid

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...